Saturday, October 6, 2012

Donald Eschliman

Last weekend, I heard an interesting story that I am currently investigating. According to my Grandma Myers and my Great Grandma (Eschliman) Zoucha, My Great Great Great Uncle had a son named Donald R. Eschliman. He was the son of Richard and Lucile Eschliman. He was probably job hunting after serving in the military during World War II. Sometime in between 1945 and 1950, his parents received a post card which said that he would be in Greeley, Nebraska, where all of the Eschlimans lived, in a few days. He was never heard from again.


Now, after some preliminary research, I believe I've found him. I looked on Ancestry.com for Census records. What I found matched what Great Grandma had said. Then I went to the website "FindAGrave.com", which has over 80 million grave sites cataloged. There, I found the same dates I found in the census and it matched the information that Grandma had told me. At that point, I put him on my family tree. The family always thought that he had been riding a boxcar back and had been mugged and killed. I don't think so. Why exactly he didn't come home I still have not figured out. However, I believe that he is buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona.

Thanks to FindAGrave.com for the pictures of the Cemetery. 

So, although I believe that I have found him, I still don't know why he never came back. So, the mystery continues. If you have any information on Donald, if you could leave a comment, I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading!
JM 

No comments:

Post a Comment